Kathy Korman Frey – Confidence Guardian. How can you measurably increase confidence in women and girls? Ask Kathy Korman Frey. She bridges the worlds of academia, entrepreneurship, corporate America and social media to showcase the new “gameboard” of confidence success in our new economy, where:
– 85% of household purchasing decisions are made by women.
– Women receive the majority of masters degrees and PhDs
– Women are half the work force.
– Women entering the field of entrepreneurship is a major driver of all nations’ GDP…
– But we’re still wondering “how”? How can we do it all?
Frey teaches GWSB’s award winning Women’s Entrepreneurial Leadership class, and is the founder of the digital women’s phenomenon The Hot Mommas® Project (www.HotMommasProject.com): The largest free case study library in the world. The project increases self efficacy of women and girls through exposure to female role models. Find her on Twitter, or email the Hot Mommas Project.
- Profiled in NPR & Washington Post Magazine
- Entrepreneur & Faculty, George Washington School of Business
- Published in Prentice Hall textbooks, Harvard Business Press
- Featured contributor, MariaShriver.com
- Award-winning curriculum developer
- Former COO, National Council on the Aging Development Corp.
- Former senior executive, venture-funded healthcare software firm
- Former executive, competitive analysis / M&A industry
- Former board member, Alzheimer’s Association
- Top Business Blogger / DC Twitter Elite
- MBA, Harvard Business School
- Washington Business Journal 2010 Women Who Mean Business awardee
- National Association of Women Business Owners 2011 Woman of Distinction awardee
- Has managed to resist constant requests from her kids for an iTouch.
The story of the Hot Mommas® Project. Kathy Korman Frey kicked the Hot Mommas® Project into high gear when her students at the George Washington University demanded more. Their lesson plans were chock full of stories about the senior vice presidents and CEOs of large companies. Where were the people they knew? Like their mom? Like their sister? Success was not just about the blue suits anymore, and it was time to showcase that fact…to other women, and the next generation. Frey channeled these everyday stories into a teachable format. The cases have been published in major Prentice Hall textbooks, presented at academic conferences, and used in classrooms around the globe. The project exploded when Frey became a “Twitter Elite” in her region, developed a Hot Mommas story-telling software program, and was taken under the wing of social media guru Guy Kawasaki. Within seven months – and as Frey worked part time with a briefcase in one hand and a diaper bag in the other – the project became the world’s largest collection of teachable role models and represented advancements in e-learning, curriculum development, and social media. Supporters of the project range from stay-at-home and part-time working moms to successful CEOs, Hollywood producers, and Harvard Business School professors. The Hot Mommas® Project has been featured by NPR, PINK Magazine, the Washington Post Magazine and is the recipient of a National Coleman Foundation Case Award. Now, the top learnings from the Hot Mommas® Project have been channeled into Sisterhood of Success® (SisX) workshops producing measurable results (up to 200 percent key increases) for women.
Frey also teaches Women’s Entrepreneurial Leadership at the George Washington University School of Business, regularly ranked in the top three in the nation by the Princeton Review as: “Greatest Opportunities for Women.” The class won a National Excellence in Education Award from the US Association of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE) and led to a ranking in Fortune Small Business.
Frey holds a B.A. in English from the University of Virginia where she received the James Earle Sargeant Award for community service. She earned her MBA from Harvard Business School. Frey currently lives in DC where she struggles daily to cling to reality with her entrepreneur husband, two children, and two dogs.
Selected Recent and Upcoming Presentations (periodically updated below):
- (Planned) November: Mary Washington’s Women’s Conference
- (Planned) June: NAWBO DC Keynote
- (Planned) April: GWWIB – GW’s Women in Business Conference
- (Planned) March: MetLife Tokyo Visitors Talk
- March 8: CNN Leading Women Tweet Chat #CNNWomen
- March 6: American University Work-Life Balance Panel
- March 4: MENA Middle East Visitors Talk
- October 26, 2013 – Speaker, Senator Mark Warner’s Virginia Women’s Conference
- May 8, 2013 – Panelist, CBS Working Women’s Lunch
- November 2, 2013 – Host, Hot Mommas Project 2012-13 Global Case Competition Awards
- March, 2013 – Kiva, Lemonade Day, and Hot Mommas Project present at the George Washington University
- November, 2012 – Kathy Korman Frey on Hot Mommas SisU Panel on ABC7 with Rebecca Cooper
- October, 2012 – Facilitate the Sisterhood of Success Digital Classroom #SisUDC
- September, 2012 – Instructor, Third Annual SisU Academy at the George Washington University School of Business
- July, 2012 – Instructor, Sisterhood of Success Project Digital Classroom #SisUDC
- June, 2012 – Panelist, Women’s Association for Financial Education (WAFE)
- March, 2012 – Instructor, Sisterhood of Success Guerrilla Mentoring Session
- January, 2012 – Instructor, Sisterhood of Success Guerrilla Mentoring Session
- 2012 – Keynote_DC Women’s Bar Association Foundation
- October, 2011 – Instrutor, Second Annual SisU Academy at the George Washington University School of Business
- June 2, 2011 – Keynote for Association of Women Surgeons
- May 31, 2011- Winner of the National Association of Women Business Owners Greater DC Chapter Woman of Distinction Award
- May 14, 2011 – #Start of Round 2 Au Pair Class http://www.Sis-U.net
- May 3, 2011 – Hot Mommas Project Awards Ceremony
- April 14,2011 – Panelist, NCRC Women and Minority Panel
- April 2, 2011 – Panel Moderator_GW Women in Business Conference
- February 26, 2010 Keynote Speaker_Wake Forest Women’s Weekend
- February 1o, 2010 Keynote Speaker_Jewish Federation 365 Women’s Conference
- February 9, 2010 Keynote Speaker_ Success in the City CEO Chick Chat
- December 8, 2010 – Keynote Speaker_ Fabulous Women Business Owners
- October 9, 2010 – Instructor, #SisUdc www.SisU.eventbrite.com
- October 3, 2010 – Keynote Speaker_Association of Women’s Surgeons
- November 5, 2010 – Speaker_Grow Small Business Conference
- July, 2010 – Keynote Speaker_with SBA’s Ellen Thrasher, MasterCard Global Women’s Telecast
- June 2010 – Keynote Speaker_ Women Grow Business Bootcamp
- April, 2010 – Award Presenter_Hot Mommas Project 2009-2010 Awards Ceremony in Washington, DC
- November 18, 2009 – Panel Facilitator_The “To Don’t” List: Prioritization Secrets of Top Entrepreneurs, George Washington University School of Business
- October 28, 2009 – Keynote Speaker_Building Effective Mentoring Relationships to Close the Gender Leadership Gap, Wake Forest University
- October 6 & 7 – One of nation’s top business bloggers featured at The World Business Forum.
- September, 2009 – Panelis_ Washington Working Women’s Forum
- August, 2009 – Keynote Speaker_Latham & Watkins Women’s Leadership Seminar (private event)
- January, 2009 – Speaker/presenter_USASBE (best workshop nominee)
Kathy Korman Frey, additional information
Award-Winning Curriculum Developer
- Co-created the curriculum for GW’s Women’s Entrepreneurial Leadership (WEL) Program which won a National Excellence in Education Award, Specialty Model Program, from the United States Association of Small Business and Entrepreneurship. Led to GWSB ranking in Fortune Small Business.
- Developed entrepreneurship curriculum for Visa’s Practical Money Skills in partnership with the National Federation for Independent Business and its Young Entrepreneur Foundation. Taught to more than 100,000 high school students annually and contributed to NFIB curriculum inclusion in White House report on top entrepreneurship programs in the US.
- Founder and CEO of Vision Forward, LLC, a strategic consulting specializing in results-based planning and staffed with “Hot Mommas” consultants.
- Clients include AARP, Discovery Communications, Entrepreneurs Organization, Chief Executives Organization, the US Department of Justice, and the US Federal Drug Administration.
- Analyst and manager for competitive analysis/merger & acquisition firm Markowitz & McNaughton, Inc. (later acquired by Citigate).
- Advised multi-national, Fortune 500 corporations on competitive positioning strategies.
- Created, staffed, and managed internal departments resulting in 20% revenue increase.
- Chief Operating Officer for the National Council on the Aging Development Corporation
- Part of senior management team which raised $8 million in strategic venture funds and received White House support for key initiatives.
- On planning team for BenefitsCheckUp.org, a service providing a 200-to-1 ROI.
- Advisory Boards, United Women in Business. Mixology, 30 Second Mom, The Closet
- 2002-2008: Alzheimer’s Association NCA, board member, management committee chair.
Publications and Contributing Research
- Frey, Katherine Korman. Hot Mommas Project cases. In Zimmerer and Scarborough’s Essentials of Small Business Management, Prentice Hall, 2009.
- Korman, Katherine & Narayandas, Das. Granny’s Goodies. Harvard Business School Press, 1999.
- Review Committee: Successful Practices for Establishing and Modifying Entrepreneurship Programs for Women. National Women’s Business Council at the U.S. Small Business Administration, 2009.
- Contributing research: Austin, James. The Collaboration Challenge: How Nonprofits and Businesses Succeed Through Strategic Alliances. Jossey-Bass, 2000. Winner of an Independent Sector Virginia A. Hodgkinson Research Prize for 2001.
- Contributing chapter: Lowell, Stephanie. The Harvard Business School Guide to Careers in the Nonprofit Sector. Harvard Business School Press, 2000.
See Full Buzz / Coverage Press Link
Speaking topics from Frey to include (see above):
- Work-Life Balance – the Myths and Realities according to “Master Balancers”
- Women’s Leadership Key Topics – The Changing Landscape and how to DIY
- Mentorship – How To
- Back in the Classroom: Lessons from the Award Winning Women’s Entrepreneurial Leadership Class
Consulting from Frey and team to include:
- Mentorship program set-up and maintenance (both peer mentorship groups, and traditional mentor-mentee),
- “In House Role Models” Program: Custom case study development (on top female role models in company) and training program.
- Women’s Leadership Training modules, digital and/or in-person.